Buying a new home is a major achievement and a good reason to celebrate, especially if you have been renting a house. However, before you become too excited, you should remember that there is one major task left for you to do before you can settle comfortably in your new home – moving. As you already know, moving is quite a demanding task, which can very stressful if it is not approached in the right way. Therefore, while you are finalising the purchase of your new home, you should start planning on how you will secure the removals firm before completion so that you will be ready to move on the scheduled date. Below is a look at some tips on how you can prepare for a stress-free move to your new home.
1. Start planning early
The key to a successful and stress-free move is to start planning the move early enough, long before the scheduled date. This will help to ensure that you are prepared when the day of the move finally arrives. In addition, it will provide you with enough time to carry out all the tasks needed before the move – cleaning, packing, labelling, etc. - thus avoiding the last minute rush where things can easily go wrong. Another benefit of planning the move early in advance is that it provides you with enough time to budget and save for the cost of moving. You can also use this period to research and choose an ideal moving company that will move your goods at an affordable price.
Therefore, if you are in the process of buying a new home, you should start planning to move long before the purchase is completed – once your offer has been accepted. This will give you about 1 – 3 months, which is enough time for you to prepare adequately. For an easier, time, you should consider preparing a moving checklist with a timeline for various tasks you are to perform before the move.
2. Clean out your old home
During the process of preparing to move to your new home, you should carry out one important task – clean out your old home. This will help you to sort out your belongings so that you can know what you will carry with you and what you will leave behind. For the things that you do not need, you can donate them or sell them online or in a garage sale. This will help you to make a good amount of cash that you can use to cover the moving costs.
While in the process of cleaning and sorting out your home, you should also consider the fact that you might need to buy brand new stuff for your new home instead of moving with the old belongings –especially the furniture. If this is the case, you can also get rid of some of your good stuff by either selling them or donating them. In case you do not want to get rid of them, you can rent a local storage unit where you can store them until you finally decide on what to do with them.
3. Start packing and labelling your belonging
After cleaning and sorting out your belongings, the next step is to start the process of packing, which is one of the most demanding and stressful tasks when moving home. For an efficient and smooth packing experience:
- Separate the belongings you have decided to carry with you into various categories – clothes and shoes, furniture, utensils, electronics, etc.
- Create a packing inventory with a list of everything that you are to carry with you
- Depending on the items that you are to carry with you, acquire packaging containers – you can either purchase them or rent them
- Start packing your belongings into the packaging container and label each and every container. This will help to ensure that you are able to easily know where everything is during and after the move
4. Chose a moving company and book a date
After you have finished sorting your belongings – and preferably packing them – you should then start researching various moving companies you can use; looking for a moving company after (and NOT before) packing will give you an idea of how much stuff you need to be moved, thus making it easy to choose a removals company. Also, researching a moving company early in advance helps to ensure that you are able to choose a reliable and reputable removals company.
When you are choosing a moving company, there are some factors you should consider in order to ensure that you choose the best one. These factors include:
- The cost of removals – the removal cost is one of the most important factors you should consider when choosing a moving company. For the best outcome, you should choose a company that is both affordable but offers high-quality services
- Insurance coverage - a good removals company should offer you insurance cover to ensure that your items are protected during the move
- Additional services – in addition to moving and insurance services, you should look for a company that offers additional services such as packing and unpacking, cleaning, etc. This will help to reduce the amount of work on the day of the move, thus making the process less stressful.
5. Clean the new house
Before the scheduled date of moving, another important task you should carry out is to clean your new home in readiness for the move. This will help to reduce the amount of work during the settling in process. After you have done that, you can then put your mind to rest and wait for the scheduled moving day.
Moving to a new home is not an easy task, especially if you have not done enough preparation. However, if you have prepared well, the moving process is very easy and smooth. Prior preparation also helps to make it easy for you to settle in. Therefore, when you are buying a new home, you should start preparations for the move early enough and not wait until the last few days.