Let's be honest; finding a contractor in any professional field can be quite a nerve wracking experience. We are all aware the stories of fly by night roofers who had been self-proclaimed experts inside their field, their finished product however turned out to be a nightmare. This scenario more often than not plays outside the lives of great people, who make really bad decisions when choosing a roof contractor. This article is to equip you from falling to the same trap we view others endure.
Here are a few astonishing facts about roofers:
- Greater than 80% of roofing companies go out of business within 2 yrs of opening their doors.
- A lot of of roofers who go above the other year don't ever make it to the fifth year of business
- The roofing marketplace is riddled with many roofing specialists who will be performing roofing services making use of their 2nd as well as 3rdbusiness.
- Because of this homeowners will no longer possess a labor warranty covering their roof, and when their roof was improperly installed there's no accountable party to solve it.
- There are several imposter roofing contractors that aren't licensed, bonded, and insured.
- The roofing companies are one of the top in national claims and reports of fraud and abuse.
These facts should not make you nauseous, but to bring your care about the battle that each business and homeowner goes through when selecting a roofing contractor. Knowledge will be your greatest weapon in a hiring situation. Rushing into selecting a contractor usually leads to regret and will run you thousands. I would like to allow you to avoid creating a mistake before it occurs by equipping you by incorporating details you have to screen and interview your roofing contractor. Here is a list of guidelines items that you need to consider while getting a roofing company.
YOUR CHECKLIST TO SAFELY Employ a Roof contractor
Check their credentials:
- Will be the contractor licensed, bonded, and insured? (Ask to view their certificates).
- Do they have workman's compensation and general liability insurance?
- Guarantee the CONTRACTOR IS CERTIFIED With all the PRODUCT They're INSTALLING!
- Certification affects the standard of warranty you will receive.
- A professional contractor may offer extended warranties on roofing and workmanship.
- Is he members of business accountability groups just like the BBB or Angie's list which you could check their ratings.
How much time have they been around:
- Statistically 80% of recent roofing businesses will be closed within the first A couple of years, and more after 5 years.
- Please make sure the contractor has a stable history.
- Contains the company been around a lot more than A few years "with exactly the same name"?
- (Fairly with an "at risk" roofer to open up multiple businesses within a different name after abusing industry and homeowners.)
Are they using stability and permanence?
- Company includes a physical business office and address.
- Reference Check (yes, you should check references, both work references and online. (review sources like yelp, Google places, BBB and Angies List)
- Positive prior & current references from at least 5 re-roof customers.
Which kind of industry experience do they have?
- Focuses primarily on the kind roofing work you desire performed.
- Has elevated the commercial or residential roofing promote for multiple years.
- Had employees which might be familiar with your unique roofing installation type.
Were they clearly detailed the scope of labor and expense of the project?
- The contractor usually supplies you which has a detailed description in the scope of work.
- The roofer will guarantee the work they're performing.
- Will the contractor understand your requirements and desires for the project?
- The cheapest prices are not necessarily a good indication of the safest choice or best value, when it sounds too helpful to be true, this probably is.
- NEVER IGNORE YOUR GUT FEELING, IF SOMETHING FEELS REALLY WRONG, In all probability it IS.
Your experience hiring a roofer can be quite a peaceful one if you know excellent customer service, along with what to stop. An educated consumer is certainly one that gets the prize. I would recommend printing this out and providing it in your prospective contractors as being a pre-screening process. If they're legit they will have no issue giving the above information. Next pick the best three contractors and experiences which you felt good about and compare price and materials. You now are in hands of a few safe roofing specialists and will work on obtaining the right system, ideal price.